Global Entrepreneurship Program FAQ
What is GCASE?
GCASE – Global Community for Advancing Studies on Entrepreneurship
What is a global entrepreneur?
A global entrepreneur systematically seeks out and conducts new and innovative business activities across national borders. These activities may consist of exporting, licensing, opening a new sales office, or acquiring another venture.
What is entrepreneurial capitalism?
Private capital, investing in private start-ups, with potential for a viable harvest.
What is the Global Entrepreneurship Institute?
Founded in 1996 as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we help entrepreneurs launch new businesses, grow them across national borders, and create wealth for their shareholders. We put “global” in global entrepreneurship.
What do you do?
Our Unique Educational Services
We are connecting aspiring entrepreneurs around the world to valuable educational resources and support in an innovative online learning environment that bridges the gap between an entrepreneur’s dreams and action!
What is your vision?
We believe it is possible to empower entrepreneurs with a roadmap and support that guides them through the transition from start-ups, to micro-enterprises, and on to small and medium-sized businesses that create jobs, lead innovation, and increase economic development in their local communities.
What is your mission?
“Learn Local > Share Global”
Our Mission is to spread wealth creation around the world by encouraging entrepreneurship and sharing knowledge to those who support and educate entrepreneurs.
Why teach entrepreneurship?
Entrepreneurs, fired by their dreams and passions, have been the engine for creating new jobs, generating revenue, advancing innovation, enhancing productivity, and improving business models and processes. Entrepreneurship is the cornerstone of the free enterprise system around the world. In fact more than 500 million adults around the globe are engaged in some form of entrepreneurial activity each year.
What are some problems teaching entrepreneurship today?
Problems Teaching Entrepreneurship Today – Need For Social Change
- Many of today’s academic institutions are failing tomorrow’s entrepreneurs. There are a large number of academic institutions “teaching” entrepreneurship. But once a student completes a class, or a workshop, there is little or no support, and no forms of continuing education. And the high costs at an academic institution leave far too many behind.
- Schools and universities in many countries stick to outdated curricula, equipping students with skills that the private sector (real-world) can no longer utilize.
- Academic institutions are focused too much on teaching theory rather than practical applications of ideas and concepts, and there is a lack of participation of business in higher education.
- Young student-entrepreneurs find it difficult to start a business because they have never been exposed to the practical experience of developing new products, launching new ideas, maintaining financial records, or raising money from private investors and partners.
- Academic institutions teach them about how things ought to work, but then students find that the reality is quite different and need additional help they can’t find at their academic institutions.
What is the opportunity?
Opportunity – Creatively Teaching Entrepreneurship
Student-entrepreneurs are empowered by creative assignments, application of course materials to real-life experiences, and creative infusion of resources like guest lectures, travel courses, and videos. In the knowledge economy of the modern world, the old model of the instructor-led lecture in a “bricks and mortar” classroom will not be adequate for tomorrow’s entrepreneurs. The opportunity for changing the status quo is here and now.
According to research by the World Bank, the competencies most valued in our global economy are: teamwork, problem-solving, and motivation for lifelong learning. But these skills and dispositions “cannot be acquired in a learning setting in which teachers dictate facts to learners who seek to learn them only in order to be able to repeat them.”
What is unique about your program design?
Unique Program Design – Learn Local > Share Global
The Silicon Valley Business Model is creating some of the most successful businesses in the world today. The master entrepreneurs behind these companies have helped inspire and transform an entire generation around the world. Our program brings the knowledge base and support from Silicon Valley to entrepreneurs and educators around the world via innovative Web-based technologies and educational services. Our program can provide millions of people around the world a chance to study business and entrepreneurship. We target people who can’t afford a traditional college education or who do not have the flexibility to enroll in a full calendar of coursework. We help recent graduates, and we can even help even dropouts, discouraged students, who have fallen behind and now have a second chance to catch up and learn how to be a productive and successful entrepreneur.
What is your solution to teaching entrepreneurship?
Our Solution – Cloud Collaboration Designed for the Global Entrepreneur
Our innovative program is valuable for entrepreneurs who don’t have the access to expensive educational programs and business advisors. Members have 24/7 online access to a Private Forum where they can visit and work one-on-one with other Members, Mentors, and Experts from all over the world. Members have access to structured educational content and lesson plans that focus on the most important business drivers to entrepreneurial success. They can attend and participate in live online courses, listen to special guest lectures. They can study from our Online Learning Center. They can review video recordings of previous lectures and live online events.
What are the objectives of your educational program?
Our Objectives – Innovative Virtual Learning Environment
- Online Learning, through structured Online Courses, Online Workshops and Seminars
- Online Mentoring and “office hours” with Mentors and Experts in Private Forum and Online Meeting Room
- Online Networking Forums, Member-only events, and partner-sponsored Online Events
- Online Learning Center, resources, templates, spreadsheets, other important documents
- Online Course where entrepreneurs from all parts of the world can collaborate online, share files and important documents in a private workspace
What is the overview of your curriculum?
Our program focuses on Business Plan Development. Our program aims at creating knowledge, skills, and awareness in the critical aspects of funding, launching, and growing a new business venture and then leading it to a successful harvest. Members will have regular online guest lecturers and will have the option to participate in live online discussions. The guest lectures will be scheduled with a variety of firms including venture capitalists, investment banks, professional service providers, and master entrepreneurs. Our program will also feature a series of online assignments and the preparation of a presentation for a new business venture.
What is the structure of the program?
Members can participate in an online course exclusively created for global entrepreneurs. Members can earn academic credit and apply it towards a certificate. Members who do not have the time to work towards earning a certificate can simply audit the course.
How does the online learning work?
Group discussions with fellow Members and one-on-one sessions with Mentors will be conducted online. Required class readings, educational videos and course deliverables can be completed all online.
What are the fees to attend?
Our online program is FREE for Members.
What are the enrollment options?
1. ENROLL FOR FREE – STUDY AT YOUR OWN PACE
You can read, study, complete work, all online. Includes full participation in our discussion forums, attend and participate in live guest lectures online.
2. ENROLL FOR COURSE ASSIGNMENTS – GET FEEDBACK ON YOUR BUSINESS PLAN DEVELOPMENT
You can read, study, complete work, all online. Includes full participation in our discussion forums, full access to our course assignments, attend and participate in live guest lectures online.
3. ENROLL FOR CERTIFICATE – GET A MENTOR AND A CERTIFICATE
You can read, study, complete work, all online. Includes full participation in our discussion forums, full access to our course assignments, attend and participate in live guest lectures online. Work with Mentors and Experts in Private Forum and Online Meeting Room.
What is the fee for course assignments?
Nominal. More details are available in the Member Forum.
What is the candidacy fee for earning a certificate?
Nominal. More details are available in the Member Forum.
What languages do you support?
The Official Language for our program is English, but Members can access the Online Program using English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, and Italian. We are currently developing our coursework for other languages.
Who are the guest lecturers?
Our guest lecturers are world famous experts in the field of entrepreneurship:
- Mark G. Heesen: President, National Venture Capital Association (NVCA)
- Deborah Magid: Director Software Strategy, IBM Venture Capital Group
- Bryan Pearce: Americas Director, Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year®
- Rajiv Sodhi: Managing Director, Go Daddy India
- Nic Brisbourne: Partner, DFJ Esprit
- Bill Reichert: Managing Director, Garage Technology Ventures
- Nicola Corzine: Deal Manager, Band of Angels
- Brandon Mills: Serial entrepreneur who raised $45 million
- Breanna DiGiammarino: Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation
- >>Learn More
Who would benefit from this program?
Candidates should be interested in pursuing one of these careers:
- working as the lead entrepreneur, co-founder of a new business venture
- working at a start-up, new business venture; but not a co-founder
- working at a financial services firm, venture capital firm, angel investor group, bank that finances entrepreneurial ventures
- working with a professional service provider that sells to entrepreneurs; venture law, accounting, consulting, information technology
- working with a governmental agency, economic development agency, non-governmental agency (NGO) that focuses on entrepreneurial development
Is there homework and written assignments?
Yes. This is an intensive educational program with rigorous work to be completed.
What are the deliverables required for earning a certificate?
Three main activities are: 1) weekly attendance, 2) active participation and collaboration, and 3) preparing a presentation for a new business venture. Members from around the world will be working and collaborating online researching and sharing ideas about entrepreneurial studies. Members will be attending online, live, interactive courses and online guest lectures from leading experts.
What is a certificate?
Members who successfully complete the course will be eligible for a “Certificate in Global Entrepreneurship” from the Global Entrepreneurship Institute. A certificate is a non-degree program designed to provide Members with specialized knowledge that is less extensive than, and different from, a master’s program. A certificate from Global Entrepreneurship Institute demonstrates that the Member has completed a planned, sequential program of study in a particular field of knowledge and that course of study has met the standards of academic approval set by the Global Entrepreneurship Institute and its Academic Experts.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Our program is open to every person on Earth. We target Members between the ages of 18-35 at the time of application. Current students at academic, university-based educational programs are encouraged to apply. We will also accept applications from students who have been accepted to a university-based educational program, have not started attending classes. We will also accept applications from students who have recently graduated from a university-based educational program within one year. The applicant needs access to the Internet to ensure full participation.
Do applicants need to be students?
No. But our program recognizes students who have excelled in their studies and have an ambition to develop a new global business venture, or understand in detail how to help support entrepreneurial activities in their local countries. Our program honors students whose broad interests help them excel academically. We accept students whose majors and minors are from widely separated fields of study.
Do you offer a university-based degree?
No. Members complete our intensive courses and earn professional certification from the Global Entrepreneurship Institute. To accommodate a busy life, all our courses required for a professional certificate are online and self-paced.
Do Members need to travel to a physical campus?
Travel is not required. All activities and course work is conducted online. Members who demonstrate their mastery of the subject earn certificates awarded by Global Entrepreneurship Institute.
Why attend online?
Our courses offer the same high-quality content as those taught in the classroom, with the same interaction between instructors and students as a regular class, with the convenience of being able to attend from a personal computer or personal Internet device.
What is a Mentor-led, asynchronous learning platform?
All our class activities are conducted online. Members complete work online and interact with other Members, Mentors and Experts through online discussion forums and online meetings. Some courses may also include live chat sessions. The Mentor provides assignments, answers questions, leads discussions, and grades Members work.
What are live guest lectures and video archives?
Our virtual classroom employs live video and audio, and offers the opportunity to observe and discuss ideas with other Members and Mentors online. Live guest lectures are recorded so a Member missing a live guest lecture can view a video recording later in our Online Learning Center.
What are self-paced courses?
Study at your own pace. Read, study, complete work all online at times that are flexible. All course materials are available online and can be reviewed at the time that works best for Members with a busy life.
How long is the program?
The program is designed to be completed in 3-5 months. Once enrolled, Members will have access to the program for 12 months.
What is your blended learning model?
Our courses combine person-to-person Mentoring with online discussion, research, and other activities. The proportion of person-to-person to online meetings varies from course to course. The style of online learning depends upon several factors, including the Mentor, the availability of our guest lecturers, and the location of Members in the course.
What are the technology requirements?
To participate in an online course Members will need:
- email address
- Internet connection via PC, laptop, or Internet device like a tablet
- Stable, popular Web browser. For full compatibility, Google Chrome is a good choice
- Speakers or headphones to listen in live online guest lectures and video archives
- Microphone to participate in live online guest lectures and course discussions
Do you take any equity?
No. We are a non-profit organization and we take no equity. Our members receive educational resources and support to work on their start-ups for zero cost. Any new business ventures, any new products developed, or any other work product done through our educational services belongs completely to the creators. We do not take ownership of any intellectual property created by our members, nor does our supporters. We are focused on the global good what good entrepreneurs can create. We encourage donations from the entrepreneurs we have helped, and we appreciate any additional community support. With this said, we are very selective with the entrepreneurs we choose.
Any more questions?
Please feel free to Contact Us